Cream Cheese Swirl Brownies
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup, divided
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons low-fat cream cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease an 8-by-8-inch baking dish.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs with the applesauce, coconut oil, and 2 tablespoons of maple syrup.
- Stir in the cocoa powder and coconut flour, and mix well. Sprinkle the salt and baking powder evenly over the surface and mix well to incorporate. Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish.
- In a small, microwave-safe bowl, microwave the cream cheese for 10 to 20 seconds until softened. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of maple syrup and mix to combine.
- Drop the cream cheese onto the batter, and use a toothpick or chopstick to swirl it on the surface. Bake for 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool and cut into 12 squares.
- Store refrigerated in a covered container for up to 5 days.
- Option tip: Sprinkle ½ cup of chopped walnuts on the top before baking to make a heartier treat.